Kellie, Isabella, Isaiah, and Pastor Chris

Friday, January 28, 2011

Daily Word January 28, 2011 - Psalm 3:3-4

Psalm 3:3-4
"But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.  I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill."
I love how the psalmist here describes his God.  He says that He is a shield about him.  That means that he felt surrounded by the protection of the Lord.  His protection was not in money or resources.  His protection was not in the government or the promises of men.  His protection was solely in his God.  Therefore, God deserved his complete trust.  Second, he says that God is "my glory".  Glory is the best thing about something or someone.  The glory is the thing which sets one apart from another.  The psalmist is saying that God is the best thing about him, his glory, what sets him apart from another.  This we know in the recesses of our minds to be the truth.  When we read of people in the culture, their failures, their sins before a holy God, and the utter destruction that they are submitting themselves to; we must be reminded that left to our own demise, we would do the same.  The only thing that sets us apart is our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  Then, he says that God is the "lifter of my head".  When the circumstances and situations of life have you down, there is only one worthy and strong enough to lift my head from the mire and muck.  God alone has the ability to lift us out of whatever situation we may find ourselves. 
Listen to the promise he closes with: "I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered".  What a promise!  That God hears me when I pray.  Take comfort in these words!

No comments:

Post a Comment