Kellie, Isabella, Isaiah, and Pastor Chris

Friday, February 4, 2011

Daily Word, February 4, 2011 "Acts 2:23"

Acts 2:23
"Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless me."
I have been reading of late, John Stott's book "The Cross of Christ".  In it, he discusses at great lengths two things.  First, the fact that my sin nailed Christ to the cross of Calvary so many years ago.  Notice, Peter's words at the day of Pentecost - 'you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men'.  This truth is indescribable to me as we look at the penalty of our sin.  To know, every sin I have committed played a role in the death of Christ.  As such, when we examine the cross, when sin starts to creep into our lives our response must be to realize that Christ's death payed the penalty for it.  When we sin, we are not just hurting ourselves and our families, we see the condemnation of that sin poured out on our Savior.  This begs the question, 'If I would look at my sin in light of the cross, would I continue in doing it?'  This is what the Hebrew writer speaks of when he speaks of those who refuse or "proface" the Son of the Living God.  Each sin, especially in the life of a believer, is an open slap in the face of the One who died for us.  Second, Stott speaks of the sovereignty of God.  To understand that it was not only my sin that put Him there, but also the Father's love that put Him there.  The Father was so committed to mankind that He sent His Son to pay the penalty for my sin, and thus, it "pleased the Father to bruise the Son".  What Peter said again was, "Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan...of God."  At the height of the cross, we see God was in control each step of the way, which gives me faith in the most difficult of circumstances.  We are forever, held by grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment