Kellie, Isabella, Isaiah, and Pastor Chris

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Daily Word March 10, 2011 - "The Lord is My Shepherd"

Psalm 23
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul, he leads me in the paths of righteousness, for his name's sake..."
The most common of funeral texts because indeed, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil."  But the psalm is so much more than the common words spoken at the loss of a loved one.  The shepherd was responsible to provide for the sheep when he needed nourishment.  Protect the sheep when he needed protecting.  Lead the sheep to the next pasture.  Most of all, to discipline the sheep when he needed disciplining.  If God is our shepherd, we must solely trust in Him for provision, protection, leading, and discipline.  A good shepherd does such things for his sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment