Kellie, Isabella, Isaiah, and Pastor Chris

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Daily Word May 17, 2011 - "Continual Cleansing"

Psalm 51:10
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me."
We are continuing our way through Psalm 51 as we learn about worship.  David has asked God to cleanse him with hyssop - the idea being that he is ready for service.  Now he says that cleansing the outside is not enough.  He asks God to create a clean heart.  David knew that you could wash away the mud but if you did not take away the desire to get into the mud, then you had accomplished nothing.  If God made him ready for worship by cleansing his sin, but did not also effect his natural desire for sin, then David would continually be coming before God asking forgiveness.  So now David says, 'give me new desires.'  And then he follows it up with and "renew a right spirit within me."  'Give me the right desires and emotions as I look at what you are doing', this is the psalmist prayer.  Though the word worship is not here, you can hear its heartbeat as David strives for intimacy with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment